Sealcoating not only beautifies your investment in your asphalt pavement, but sealcoating will prolong the life of the pavement. You must sealcoat to protect the asphalt from ultraviolet light, water penetration and chemical attack. If the asphalt is left untreated, oxidation of the pavement will begin which causes the asphalt to dry and become brittle. This leads to erosion of the top layer, and the appearance of larger stones and small cracks on the surface.
What is Sealer?
Sealer is a 100% refined tar emulsion pavement sealer. Unlike the asphalt it is designed to protect or pavement sealer made from asphalt, refined tar emulsion pavement sealer resists oxidation from the sun and spills from gasoline and oil.
How long will my driveway or parking-lot last?
Driveways and parking lots can last for up to 20 years. Structurally sound pavements combined with a maintenance program of patching and sealcoating, will prolong the life of the pavement preventing deterioration of the surface.
What are the most significant contributors to pavement deterioration?
Several factors contribute to the deterioration of your paved surface.
- Original construction quality.
- Heavy loads placed upon the pavement (a fully loaded tractor-trailer or trash truck exerts as much deteriorating force on a pavement as 10,000 cars).
- Oxidation: Asphalt pavement is made up of hot liquid asphalt, sand and rock. Almost immediately after paving, the asphalt combines with oxygen and becomes brittle or oxidized, leading to cracking and deterioration.
- Petroleum spills, since asphalt is oil based material; any oil based product that is spilled upon it will dissolve the cement that bonds the asphalt together and cause premature failures.
- Cracks: Asphalt is a flexible pavement. Cracks are a natural part of the aging process. Left unfilled, these cracks will allow water penetration into the sub-base which will prematurely cause potholes and other types of extensive pavement failure.
What if I don’t fill that crack this year? Is that really such a big deal?
Water, when frozen, expands by 150% in volume. This expansion displaces and cracks asphalt. Crack sealing is the least expensive and most cost effective way to prevent future repairs.
If my pavement was professionally installed, why do I need to worry about maintenance?
Even the best of surfaces are subject to the wear and tear caused by time, weather and traffic. No paved surface is permanent. Pavement maintenance refers to sealcoating, patchwork and filling cracks. This proactive approach will significantly extend the life of existing pavements.
How often should I seal coat my blacktop?
Brand new pavement should be sealed after 45 days from application. An additional sealcoating depends on the amount of traffic your surface receives. Quality sealer will last approximately three years.
How do I know I have a contractor I can trust?
- Always ask for a reference (neighbors, family, co-workers, etc.)
- Make sure that they belong to the Better Business Bureau.
- Make sure they answer any & all questions to your satisfaction.
If they are unable to do these simple good business practices; you have the wrong contractor.